4th Annual Evolution of the American Landscape:
In-Person & Live Streamed!
Monday, February 28, 2022
About the Symposium
Save the Date! Join us on February 28, 2022, for our 4th Annual Evolution of the American Landscape symposium. This year we are celebrating the legacy of Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903), the founder of American landscape architecture, designed the grounds of the U.S. Capitol, Central Park, Prospect Park, Biltmore Estate and Bayard Cutting Arboretum. Join us to celebrate the 200th anniversary of his birth with a full-day educational program focusing on his influence on landscape design and horticulture.
- Becoming Olmsted: The Intellectual, Cultural and Social Development of Frederick Law Olmsted – Joseph Disponzio, Ph.D., Independent Scholar
- Challenges in the Olmsted Landscape – Beth Brantley, Ph.D., Technical Support Specialist, Bartlett Tree Experts
- Olmsted Design Principles and the Historic Designed Landscape of Planting Fields – Gina Wouters, Executive Director, Planting Fields Foundation
- Oak and Us: From the Ice Age to the Urban Forest – William Logan, Founder, President & Lead Arborist, Urban Arborists
- Curation and Interpretation of the Olmsted Landscape – Kevin Wiecks, Director, Bayard Cutting Arboretum
$100 – General (In-Person)
$75 – BCAHS Member (In-Person)
$50 – Student/Educator (In-Person) – The first five full-time students/Educators to sign up are free!
$40 – Live Stream
- Certified Nursery & Landscape Professionals (CNLP) – 5 credits
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) – 3 credits
- NYS DEC Pesticide Applicator Recertification – 3 credits
All registrants will receive a link to the recorded event available through April 30, 2022. All profits from the Evolution of the American Landscape Symposium will support the Bayard Cutting Arboretum.
Olmsted 200 Art Exhibit
About the Bayard Cutting Arboretum Horticultural Society
“Awareness through education…Responsibility through involvement”
Since 1974, the Bayard Cutting Arboretum Horticultural Society (BCAHS) has been promoting sound home gardening methods, preservation of the environment and an appreciation of the beautiful Bayard Cutting Arboretum and our Long Island Community. Profits generated by the Society’s fundraising events are donated to Bayard Cutting Arboretum to help maintain the historic Westbrook Manor House, the summer home of the Cutting Family.
Consider becoming a member of the Bayard Cutting Arboretum Horticultural Society today!
Cancellations and COVID
Consistent with New York State Parks and CDC guidelines, COVID-19 protocols will be in place. This may require temperature checks and the use of masks. By attending the event, you certify that you believe that you have not been exposed to COVID-19 for two weeks prior to the event or are not experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
Refund requests must be submitted to Kristen.Cella@parks.ny.gov and are subject to a $30.00 fee. Refunds will not be issued for “no shows” or any reason after Feb. 18, 2022. We welcome substitutions if sent in writing to DoreenMN88@gmail.com prior to Feb. 25, 2022.
We reserve the right to publish photographs of the conference for promotional use. We reserve the right to cancel or modify the conference content or speakers without notice, as conditions warrant. In case of inclement weather, check the website’s front page. Any decisions affecting the event will be made prior to 6:00 pm on Feb. 27, 2022, and posted to the BCA website.